Thursday, February 27, 2014

Final Days of Staff Relief

Tomorrow marks my final day of staff relief and my final day of my IPC rotation! I will be starting on Monday at my long term care facility.

My past 2 weeks of staff relief have been crazy, but really good. I started off feeling a bit overwhelmed; however, as time progressed, I became very comfortable out on my own. Although this rotation was stressful at times, I wouldn't have changed a thing. The situations I was put in tested both my knowledge and my patience. Some days went very smoothly; however, other days I was ready to leave at 10am. It was the days that I was ready to leave at 10am that I now appreciate the most. Being able to accomplish what needs to get done on stressful days has made me a stronger dietetic intern than when I first started back in August.

One of the things I will miss the most being at my IPC facility, besides the free breakfast and lunch I got each day, is having another intern with me. I had interns that came during my last couple rotations; however, they would come after I was already there. Sure, we bonded, but I was never with them long enough to really get to know them. This rotation was the opposite. I started my first day with another intern so we got through that first scary day together. I could not have asked for a better person to spend my rotation with. Besides the fact that she had awesome notes and charts I could copy (and cookies to feed me), she was sweet and always there to listen and vent to (as I was able to do for her some days, haha). We shared stories about our internships, patients, boyfriends, and frustrating situations. I used to think it would be crazy to share my internship rotation with another intern; however, I think having that experience (and becoming so close) made it all the better. Now ends the sappy part of my blog :)

Although there were people and things I will miss now moving on to my next rotation, there are certainly things I could live without. This refers to my 1.5 hour drive each way to my rotation, the long drive being mixed with snow, the obnoxious amount of potholes on the roads I take, and the 2 sets of train tracks I seem to hit every other day on my drive home.

Some of my favorite, interesting, funny, not-so-funny patients of the week consisted of:
1. A patient who overdosed on 270 pills.
2. A patient with a BMI of 54.4 (also unemployed and adamant that they were fine in their diet <-- my favorite part).
3. A patient who had uncontrolled diabetes who told the nurse that he felt short of breath at home, so he took some cocaine. This same patient told me he does not take his blood sugar at home because he gave his machine to a friend...sure.
4. A patient (came in as an overdose) who threatened to pull out his IV if he didn't receive pain meds (the nurse told him he could sign himself out AMA if he wanted, and he became very quiet).
5. Seeing x-rays with a collapsed lung, fluid in lungs, and blood clots.
6. A patient (next door to the patient I was visiting) who was screaming that the nurses were trying to kill him.

Some things I found to be useful during my rotation were:
1. A sheet with lab values and what it means to be high and low.
2. A sheet with common diseases (cirrhosis, diabetes, cardiac, renal failure, pancreatitis, etc) and the accompanying diets (for the ones I wasn't familiar with).
3. A sheet with TF formulas used in the facility.
4. A cheat sheet of when to use certain formulas (Nepro-renal, Glucerna-Diabetes, Isosource-low blood pressure).
5. Knowing that I needed to be confident in my recommendations for a diet!
**Don't stress too much over not knowing things about clinical. I felt the same way going into my rotation; however, by my last few weeks, I felt like I knew so much and how to appropriately apply the information.

I'm excited to start the next part of my RD Journey. T minus 5 weeks until graduation!


No comments:

Post a Comment